Tuna Business Headlines
Spanish processor Jealsa injected EUR 7.2 million (USD 7.7 million) into its recently created subsidiary ‘Seanergy 360′. The three businesses that makes up ‘Seanergy 360’ are Pet Select (pet food), Valora Marine Ingredients (by-product) and Conresa (fish meal and oil). Though the pet food which comes in cans and pouches contain tuna, it is unclear whether Valora and Conresa products contain this fish.
Jealsa took over the operations of Pet Select, Valora, and Conresa in October last year to implement the company’s “commitment to circular economy and its We Sea corporate responsibility.” Though ‘Seanergy 360,’ Jealsa offers items to meet the needs of the pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and nutritional industry with its focus on the international market.
The tuna bond scandal has come to bite back Mozambique President Filip Nyusi as Abu Dhabi-based shipbuilder Privinvest wants to drag him back to the case in the London High Court. Nyusi was cleared of all allegations by London High Court judge Robin Knowles last September because he has immunity from the UK court’s jurisdiction as he is the head of a state.
Last October, Privinvest CEO Iskandar Safa accused the Mozambiqan President of taking part in the conspiracy worth USD 2 billion, including USD 850 million in tuna bonds. He was alleged of having irresponsibly carried out the deal amid a power struggle with his predecessor, President Guebuza. The London High Court, where the trial is ongoing, is yet to rule on the case. The controversial tuna bond scandal dates back to over a decade when three-state owned companies and Privinvest made deals to build tuna boats and marine surveillance vessels funded by Credit Suisse and Russian bank VTB. But the project never materialized. Mozambique sued Safa and Credit Suisse over the loans raised to buy the fleet.
The EU updated its regulations for bluefin fishing in its waters for industrial and small-scale vessels following ICCAT’s new rules. A majority of measures received unanimous support in the European Parliament, but several members cried foul over the meager quotas assigned to artisanal fishers. This has been a long-standing issue. In France, 88 percent of the catch limit is taken up by industrial vessels while it is 97 percent in Spain. The traditional form of bluefin fishing via Spanish almadrabas and matanza in Italy have been taking place for thousands of years.
Clara Aguilera, Member of Parliament, at a plenary session held on Tuesday, intended to distribute quotas fairly between the EU and third countries, with “special attention” paid to small-scale fishing, reported European news site Euractiv. Caroline Roose, Member of Parliament and Europe Ecology – The Greens said: “States persist in not allocating bluefin quotas fairly between artisanal and industrial fishermen. ICCAT provides for this to be rebalanced, but member states have been doing nothing for years.”
TOP 10 Most Read
- Accidental Massive Tuna Donated To US Soup Kitchen
- Bangkok Canneries Pick Up Production, SKJ1.8:BKK Sees Modest Fall
- Mozambique President Not Off The Hook Yet In Tuna Scandal
- Tuna Farming News preview
- Tuna Processing News Header preview
- US Seafood Company Recalls Its Tuna Products With Listeria
- Why Disastrous IO Catch Depresses Skipjack Price
- Thai Union Lost Nearly 13% Of Its Sales Volume In 2023
- Workers Of Fraudulent Spanish Tuna Company Will Receive Salaries
- Controversial Spanish Tuna Company Announces Bankruptcy
- Has World’s First NGO Created Tuna Company “Revolutionized The Tuna Industry?”
- Nauru’s Switch To China Threatens Future Of Taiwanese-Owned Fleet?
- Thailand Also Loses Ground In Smaller Canned Tuna Markets
- Bidding Good Riddance To Red Lobster Will Improve TU’s Profits
- Thai Processors Canned Tuna Trade Hits USD 1.8 Billion, Lowest Exports In Decade
- Brazilian Tuna Sector Needs Revamping, 2-Mth Fishing Ban Added To Woes Amazing how fishers never hesitate to point out all the challenges stopping them…
- ISSF President Says Electronic Monitoring is “No-Brainer” That Needs Acceleration Buenos días, amigos de ATUNA, quería informarles que en IATTC también se adoptó…
- Aussie Fish Talk App Aids Inspectors Communicate With Foreign Crew I think this will be a very useful tool, I wonder how long…
- Catches Plunge Despite Shift WCPO Seiner Operations To The East the worlds largest tuna supply source producing 31 pct less, i can hardly…
TUNA TV COMMERCIALS
Century Tuna Superbod "Ageless" Commercial.
Trailblazer | Bumble Bee Seafoods
Comercial Atún y Jurel "El Pescador" (Bolivia, 2021/2022)
Rio Mare Insalatissime 2022 – 15s Student ENG
Fishermen have 'incredible' encounter with huge pod of killer whales
Amazing Cutting Fish in Japan - CANON EOS 5D Mark II Short Film
Overfishing hurting tuna supply in Australia